Go Cocks!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

fruits of labor and laundry

In my neck of the woods, gardens are usually planted in late April or early May. Given the May I had this year, there was a small window of time to get my garden planted. The first round got planted (corn, beans, cucumbers, tomatoes), but then we were gone a lot, and it didn't rain for three weeks. Seeds + water = plants. Seeds + no water = no plants. I hope this math is making sense. So, I got to replant my garden again in June. It's a small garden, and I got few second and no third plantings in... plus there was very little rain all summer. Not to mention, I'm a terrible weeder. Did you know that weeds WILL grow in drought-like conditions?

We had a plumbing problem that Alpine temporarily fixed by piping our laundry water to the garden. Two problems solved! Since the plantings were late, of course the fruits came late, but alas... here the are: six quarts of tomatoes and nine pints of green beans! Cucumbers and tomatoes have been wonderful snacks, lunches and additions to supper. I love growing my own veggies... even if it is a pain sometimes!

No comments: