Go Cocks!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

07.23.08 - Ketchikan

So, Ketchikan was our last stop. It was probably the most touristy place we stopped, but we still had a good time and it was still beautiful! Bec and I went on a Rainforest Canopy and Zipline adventure. It was very scary at times, but very fun!



So, this was our first ride on the zipline. It was a short line, but it gave us the opportunity to learn how to use the hand brake!

This was the view from one of the first platforms. I'm not sure which mountain that is in the background, but I happened to catch an eagle in the center of the shot. I was so nervous at that point... I'm SURE the eagle was just a bonus! It was a beautiful view from near the tops of the trees, for sure!



This is one of the 8 ziplines. Yes, it is hard to see where you will end up. But you just do it, cause there's no other way down! (well, no other pleasant way down)


And one of the 3 swinging bridges... those were pretty scary because you move so slowly. One of our guides was behind me and knew that I was a bit uncomfortable, so he did the nice thing... and bounced on the bridge as hard as he could! While it scared the snot out of me, I guess it made walking across it much easier, since it didn't normally shake like that. =)


Back on solid ground again! There were lots of totem poles in Ketchikan... carved from western red cedar and impregnated with oil so they are rot and termite resistant.


They are also not made in China. =)



The next stop was the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. It was a little cheesy, but certainly entertaining... they split the crowd and involved us by having us cheer for "our" designated team - either Canada or US. We had fun by heckling the other crowd, and they had fun by doing silly things that also showed off their lumberjack skills.


I think we were not supposed to take video, but here's a video to show just how fast they were!




While we were out doing some window shopping, we saw this beautiful dog... the owner was taking tips so people could have their picture taken with the dog. I guess I cheated. =)


On our way out, we got a glimpse of more totem poles at a totem pole park...

... and jellyfish...

... and our final look at Alaska.


No comments: