Go Cocks!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

change is here!

Well, I didn't plan it, but I guess it's appropriate that since Election Day was the last time I blogged, Inauguration Day seemed like a good day to start back up. It no longer matters who we voted for, but now, I guess our duty as American citizens is to give our support to the new president, until he does something un-American. Then we are allowed to spew all sorts of mean things in all directions, only stopping to take a breath at the next un-American act - right? That seems to be the way things go...

America seems ripe for Change... it seems desperate for Hope... and completely enamoured with Obama. Like it or not, with a Democratic congress and a Democratic president, change is here, for better or for worse. Two Americans took an important and significant oath today, so I feel compelled to take one, too:

"I, miss fluffy, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully support the office of President of the United States, so long as s/he will to the best of his/her ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

As much as Bush asked to be ridiculed... as much as the monkey caricatures made sense... the President of the US deserves our support and respect. If we cannot respect our own President, how can we expect the people and leaders of other countries to? Unlike the Bush-haters, I will pledge to support Obama as our president, though I will reserve the right to be skeptical and apprehensive. I don't think I agree with the Change that Obama has said he wants to make... and I don't think I agree with the type of Hope he wants to bring to this nation. His embrace of Personal Responsibility seems to be in contrast with most other things he supports, like the Redistribution of Wealth and most social programs.

I DO Hope that this administration brings about positive Change in this country. I am happy that we seem to have moved beyond skin color, in general, by electing a half-black president... but I'm sad that we must keep pointing out that he's black... not half-black, not half-white, not just a man with great oratory skills who doesn't really say much. But... we'll see how this road turns, and I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

3 comments:

Mason & Dixie said...

Glad to see you are back in the bloging world!

Alpineman, RN said...

It's not the distribution of wealth that concerns his detractors ... it's the RE-distribution of wealth that causes us to get twitchy.

miss fluffy said...

sorry... typo. Thanks for the correction - i'll fix it... not that that'll help anything... =)